Pulling all n-sized combinations from a list

mensanator at aol.com mensanator at aol.com
Fri Feb 10 14:59:05 EST 2006

Magnus Lycka wrote:
> mensanator at aol.com wrote:
> > But using the free SDK compiler from MS? That seems elusive.
>
> Have you seen this?
> http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/

I have, although I haven't tried it as I was able to get a GMPY
Windows binary from someone else. It may be that probstat
is not as complicated as GMPY. So if I get some free time,
I might try it, would be worth it in the long run. Thanks for
pointing it out.

Nevertheless, my "elusive" comment was certainly justified:

<quote>
Note also that the author of the document (Mike Fletcher)
has abandoned Windows as a development platform
(in some part because of the difficulties in getting a
working compiler to support the platform), and is thus
no longer actively maintaining this page.  While some
people are still reporting successes, others are having
difficulties with building certain projects.  The Toolkit
approach is, in short, a bit dicey as a platform for serious
development.
</quote>

 I think it's safe to say most Windows users are NOT software
developers. If the professional software developers have trouble
figuring it out, what chance does an inexperienced end user have?

And for the record, I never implied that JD was obligated to provide
a Windows binary for his project. I was merely pointing out that
there are a lot of people not using his module because of the lack
of a Windows binary, so it really should come as no surprise that
people keep asking for solutions to combination/permutation
problems.

But it turns out he actually had one, which he graciously provided
have it, would I? Squeaky wheels get grease. And, through my
blundering tests, he found a place where he should be raising an
exception, so he benefits also.

Luckily, not everyone has the "here's a nickel kid, get yourself a
better computer" attitude.