Learning Python

Ron Rogers Jr. CronoCloud at mchsi.com
Mon Feb 6 11:14:20 EST 2006

Byte wrote:
> Yes, sorry, didnt realise diffrence between int and input. Since i'm
> such an idiot at this, any links to sites for people who need an
> unessicerily gentle learning curve?

I'm new to Python too, here's a few I've found useful:

http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner by Michael Dawson. It is
the book I'm using. It's different from other Python books in that it's
examples/sample programs are games or game related.  The author uses a
modified version of the LiveWires modules later in the book along side
Pygame

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598631128/002-1529099-9424031?v=glance&n=283155

(That's the second edtion, no reviews yet.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592000738/002-1529099-9424031?v=glance&n=283155

(first edition with reviews)

LiveWires they've got materials to go with their modules.

http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/

You haven't mentioned using IDLE, the built in IDE, I have found it useful:

http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/index.html

It might not be in your menus though, on my box it's at:

python2.4 /usr/local/lib/python2.4/idlelib/idle.py

CronoCloud (Ron Rogers Jr.)