Twisted book opinions?

Jacob Hallen jacob at cd.chalmers.se
Sat Feb 18 13:31:26 EST 2006

In article <mailman.1661.1139495753.27775.python-list at python.org>,
Andrew Gwozdziewycz  <apgwoz at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's really more of an example based tutorial book than cookbook.
>> What it does do really well is 'networking programming essentials'. I
>> found it quite a good book and managed to write a distributed ssh cron
>> tool in an evening after reading the sections on SSH.
>
>I would second that. The examples are very good, and it breaks down
>the code and explains the new concepts.
>
>> What I'd really like now is a 'Web Application Development with
>> Twisted/Nevow' book that takes off where this 'network protocol'
>> oriented book leaves off.
>
>I thought the O'Reilly book was pretty decent at describing how to
>setup a web application. It's not entirely complete, but I was able to
>piece together an application with a somewhat complex web application
>on top of it. Twisted made it quite easy.

The book does Twisted basics very well. The examples are many and they are
just the right size for grasping how to do things.

My only gripe is that the way it produces HTML code in the web examples
is very primitive. You should be using Stan (a very Pythonic DOM) instead
of the explicit strings that are used throughout the book. Fortunately
there is an on-line tutorial for Stan, which is very good.

http://www.kieranholland.com/code/documentation/nevow-stan/

Jacob Hallén