With pyMinGW

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Feb 22 09:22:02 EST 2006

Thank you for your answers, Khalid.

> It seems you may be using an old version of pyMinGW,

I have downloaded it yesterday from your site.

> the relevant part dealing with include directories in zlib.mak
> should read now as follows:

I have checked, and that relevant part is the same in my zlib.mak.

> but since the site stopped the hosting of zip files and since many
> people do not download that particular file anyway when it was hosted
> elsewhere, letting the file expire (inactive files are removed after
> one week from last download), then I hope you'd agree it would be much
> work for me to keep track of expired and unexpired files and so keep on
> uploading the files.

You can probably remove the dead link from your page.
(Maybe I can build a complete package (with Tkinter, minGW and Swig
too), and put it in some official Python site.)

> As to your SWIG problem, then I suggest you look into the pyMinGW's
> extensions' directory. There you will find two examples of building C
> and CPP extensions using SWIG and MinGW.

I don't want to use/waste too much of your time, I have succed with the
C++ example, but the C example has given me some problems:

C:\...\PyminGW\Python-2.4.2\MinGW\Extensions\pyExt_C_exmaple>python24
setupMingW.py build --compile
r=mingw32
running build
running build_ext
building '_example' extension
swigging example.i to example_wrap.c
C:\...\PyminGW\swigwin-1.3.28\swig.exe -python -o example_wrap.c
example.i
C:\......\bin\gcc.exe -mno-cygwin -mdll -O2 -Wall -s
-IC:\...\PyminGW\Python-2.4
.2\include -IC:\...\PyminGW\Python-2.4.2\PC -c example_wrap.c -o
build\temp.win32-2.4\Release\examp
le_wrap.o
example_wrap.c: In function `PySwigClientData_New':
example_wrap.c:1205: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
break strict-aliasing rules
example_wrap.c: In function `PySwigObject_own':
example_wrap.c:1456: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
break strict-aliasing rules
example_wrap.c:1456: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
break strict-aliasing rules
example_wrap.c: In function `My_variable_set':
example_wrap.c:2515: error: `My_variable' undeclared (first use in this
function)

Bye,
bearophile