pythonic exec* spawn*

Daniel Nogradi nogradi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:31:51 EST 2006

> > >Okay, but how?
> >
> > Sorry, fork() is implemented strictly on a 'need to know' basis :-)
> >
> > >It seems to me that if the process which issued os.fork() ends, then
> > >the forked process also ends.
> >
> > No, no, they're not a quantum mechanic photon pair. Every process decides
> > for itself if and when to end. As long as it's not signalled/killed, that
> > is.
> >
> > >But the execute of longer( data ) should keep going even though the
> > >original program ended. I'm pretty sure it's something basic and
> > >probably I'm not aware of the right concepts and that's why I can't
> > >find the right place to look in the docs.
> >
> > You can search for "daemonize".
> >
> > Here's a recipe:
> > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/66012
> >
> > The concept is best explained in this book:
> > http://www.kohala.com/start/apue.html

Thanks again, the recipe was very useful, and in the meantime I also
found this article,
http://www.informit.com/content/images/art_deitel_creatingprocesses/elementLinks/pythonhtp1_fork_article.pdf
which explains os.fork and os.wait in a python context. Maybe some
others will also make use of it, it clearified the basics for me.