Yet another GUI toolkit question...

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 08:33:07 EST 2006

On 2/10/06, Kevin Walzer <sw at wordtech-software.com> wrote:
> ...with a twist.
>
> I'm undertaking my first semi-substantial Python GUI application after a
> long time dabbling with the language.
>
> I'm fairly experienced with Tcl/Tk, so Tkinter seems the obvious choice
> to reduce my Python learning curve. However, my Tcl applications
> typically make use of a *lot* of extensions to the core widget set, such
> as BWidgets, tablelist, and Tile.
>
> I've found minimal Tkinter wrappers for all of these extensions, but
> they are all labelled "experimental," lightly documented at best, and
> little-used (as far as I can tell) by Python developers.
>
> So: my question is, would it be more productive for me to wrestle with
> these extensions when there doesn't seem to be much constituency for
> their use, or would it be better/faster/more efficient for me to start
> scaling the wxPython mountain?
>
> For what it's worth, my application has to run on OS X and Windows, and
> will be commercial, so this combination of requirements rules out
> PyGTK/PyQt/just about every other cross-platform GUI toolkit.

If you're planning on selling an application, especially to OS X
users, then Tk is absolutely out of the question. It doesn't have even
the slightest resemblence to native behavior, and lacks the polish and
flash that occasionally lets a non-native app get away with it. Given
the limits you've stated, I believe your only options are wxPython and
writting 2 guis using PyWin/PyObjC. The second option requires
knowledge of the native tool sets for the respective platforms, so if
you don't have that I can only suggest wxPython. If you're used to Tk
you will face a learning curve, and you will need to look for or write
replacements for the custom widgets you've been using.