Some general questions about using "stdin","stdout"....

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 16 23:36:55 EST 2006

asdsd sir wrote:
> thank you very much for your help...
> my big mistake,was to believe that "|" is the pipe symbol for both,unix and
> python...
> it is really annoying,how such a simple thing can mess things
>
> Thank you for clearing this out.

It is indeed annoying when assumptions we carry from one environment
turn out to be untrue for another. I can almost hear the unspoken
thought ("But Perl is similar to shell scripting in this way, so why
aren't other languages?") - though I may be doing you a disservice
assuming that you know anything about Perl.

You will find as your programming experience increases that the
different languages you learn are appropriate for different purposes,
and have different advantages and disadvantages. Python excels at
expressing algorithms in an unambiguous and easily-readable way. It's
worth taking the time to learn it, and you are clearly already on your way.

I look forward to reading your next question. Welcome to comp.lang.python.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119