Is python very slow compared to C

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Tue Feb 14 10:08:04 EST 2006

In article <1haq02x.edwa44e4u7r6N%aleaxit at yahoo.com>,
Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
			.
>Javascript has leveraged its early advantage in the Netscape browser to
>become the only "universally available" language for client-side "in the
>browser" execution, and thus established a foothold in a strong and
>growing niche for prototype based, rather than class based, object
>models. However, there doesn't appear to be further spreading of such
>object models; "big" new languages like C# (and indeed the whole
>underlying CLR framework, which also forced the semantics of VB) are
>strongly class-based.
>

>Alex

Were we to deepen this analysis, the next aspect to examine is that,
in my estimation, the JavaScript user community is unusual in the
extent to which its users don't aspire to comprehensive understanding.
Say to a Java or Eiffel or Lua programmer, "You didn't know about
{inner definitions|nested dictionaries|...}," and my bet is he'll say,
"Tell me more."  Tell the majority of JS users that they don't seem to
be aware of inheritance constructs, and they respond, "So?"

That's a crude generalization, but one I think useful.

If true, it helps explain the comparative lack of penetration of
prototype-based object orientation.