Python vs. Lisp -- please explain

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Feb 23 06:54:44 EST 2006

Hallöchen!

"Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.org.uk> writes:

> Kay Schluehr wrote:
>
>> I would say yes, it is still "proper Python" in that each RPython
>> program is also a CPython program.
>
> I suppose it depends on which direction you're coming from, in
> that many Python programs just wouldn't be able to run in
> RPython. But then I can understand the convenience of having a
> subset of Python that is executable by CPython, but which can also
> be inspected and processed for other purposes, and whose programs
> maintain their semantics in both situations.

I'm still afraid of the following scenario: Eventually, people might
regard "RPython plus type declarations" (or something similar) as
first-class Python because it's faster and runs on more
implementations, so they try to stick to it.  So effectively you
would have changed Python.

Maybe I misunderstood something because I could not follow all of
Kay's text but I think one should not change Python or create a
look-alike to allow for better implementations.  The language should
fit my brain rather than an implementation.

Tschö,
Torsten.

--
Torsten Bronger, aquisgrana, europa vetus            ICQ 264-296-646