list assignment

Bernhard Herzog bh at intevation.de
Thu Feb 23 09:46:12 EST 2006

Norvell Spearman <norvell at stenocall.com> writes:

> Lutz and Ascher have tuple and list assignment as separate entries in
> their assignment statement forms table so I was expecting there to be
> some difference; thanks for setting me straight.

In older Python versions there was a difference between list unpacking
and tuple unpacking.  The former would only work with lists and the
latter with tuples.  With Python 1.5, both were unified into a more
general sequence unpacking, but for backwards compatibility both
syntaxes were kept.

   Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/