Single-file executables

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Mon Feb 13 14:58:10 EST 2006

Kevin Walzer wrote:
> Which of the Windows/Unix package builders for Python applications is
> capable of creating single-file executables? I'm thinking of:
>
> 1. py2exe
> 2. Mcmillan Installer/PyInstaller
> 3. cxfreeze
>
> The apps I've seen created by py2exe aren't single-file at all, the
> install folder is full of files besides the main program. I'm looking
> for a solution that stuffs all libraries, scripts, and the Python
> runtime into one file.

I use py2exe and Inno Installer and get to a single file installation
that way.  Inno creates setup.exe as a single file.  That file may
actually expand into several files upon installation (which is
typical as you want readme.txt, history.txt, other documentation,
maybe example .ini file, etc.).  IMHO the fact that py2exe doesn't
create a single exe is a non-problem.  What other Windows app when
installed only installs <progname>.exe and NO OTHER FILES.  Inno
solves the problem of only having a single .exe to DISTRIBUTE
which I think is the real goal.  Inno also lets you automate the
creation of desktop/quicklaunch/startbutton icons, insertion of
items into the registry, and a whole host of other "stuff" that
normally must be done to complete a proper installation.  With some
plug-ins, you can even have it get updates from a website (I have
not tested this, but I've read about it).

If you want to "obscure" your programs use the bundle option and
py2exe imbeds the .ZIP file inside the .EXE file (making it
somewhat harder to hack).

-Larry Bates