A C-like if statement

Fri Feb 24 07:52:31 EST 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 06:45:41 -0500, Kent Johnson wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> Now that's a Python wart: using >>> for the prompt for interactive
>> sessions. It makes it ambiguous when posting code in email or newsgroups,
>> especially once the code gets quoted a few times.
>
> So change it. My pythonstartup.py contains:
>
> import sys
> sys.ps1 = ' >>> '
> sys.ps2 = ' ... '

Sure, I can change my prompt. And you can change yours. And Bob can change
his. And Freddy doesn't bother. And now we've all got different prompts,
and nobody knows what's what...

It is good to be able to set your own prompt when needed. But it is also
good to have a common default prompt. And it would be good for that common
default prompt to NOT clash with email quoting standards. Therefore that
the prompt actually does clash is a wart.

That's my opinion. Yours may differ.

--
Steven.