Python vs. Lisp -- please explain

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Feb 19 10:52:28 EST 2006

Luis M. González>[Shed-Skin] ... but so far it looks great (only one
developer though..).<

Two developers, I am there too :-)

I think people aren't much interested so far because there aren't good
ways to link/join/use SSPython compied code from CPython code. A good
solution is probably to:
- Develop code in CPython
- find if there are slow spots that Psyco can't improve enough
- in this situation move the parts in a module and do some tweaks to
adapt the code (if necessary)
- compile the .py module (to a .pyd, etc) with SS (a single click can
be enough on some operating systems), and then import it as before.

To do this it SS requires to know the types of the input data of the
functions/classes in the module. There are solutions to this, the
simpler one to me seems to infer such types from the code below the if
__name__ == "__main__":
That part can contain tests of all the functions/classes, so such parts
can be used to infer types of the whole module.
To do this automatically SS has to use something like SWIG.

Other developers can probably help with such things, otherwise SS will
probably be dead in a year from now... this is not good for me.

Bye,
bearophile