Legality of using Fonts

garabik-news-2005-05 at kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk garabik-news-2005-05 at kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
Sun Feb 12 11:14:14 EST 2006

Kamilche <klachemin at comcast.net> wrote:
> Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, as well. Showing all the text on an
> image is one thing... using that image as the basis of a font engine is
> something different.
>
> Luckily, someone has sent me a link to a set of free TrueType fonts -
> http://www.gnome.org/fonts , the 'Vera' family. I guess I'll turn those
> into bitmaps to stay out of the gray area.
>
> I have other reasons I want to use a bitmap font, other than licensing
> issues.

You should probably check out X11 misc-fixed family of fonts.
They have free license and are designed from the begining as bitmaps,
which means they are more readable at small sizes (since they were
designed to be displayed at fixed sizes). They are monospaced, which
might be an advantage or not.

| Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__    garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk     |