Path (graph) shower utility

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 25 13:58:31 EST 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:31:15 +0100, Durumdara <durumdara at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I need to create a program that read eml file headers, analyze the
                                       ^^^^^^^^
You mean "email". Took me some time to figure out.

> receive tags and create a path database. I finished with this program
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
You mean "the Recieved: headers". Also took some time to figure out.

> section.
>
> But I want to show a graphical summary about the paths.
>
> This is (what I want to show) like a graph - show ways, stations, etc,
> and I want to show the strength of lines (how many of mails use this way).
>
> Can anyone known about a freeware tool, software, or python module that
> can show graphs with best alignments ?

Sure. You want graphviz:

  http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/

It's primarily a tool for rendering a graph (in Postscript, PNG etc) from a
text representation, but IIRC there are Python bindings for it as well. Lots
of people use it for purposes similar to yours.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!