Python 3000 deat !? Is true division ever coming ?

seb.haase at gmail.com seb.haase at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 23:55:42 EST 2006

Thanks for the replies,
But to point out what the subject of this thread is (sorry for the typo
;-)  :
There is a PEP  (proposal 238) to change Python so that
5/2  WOULD do the true division  -- and obviously break lots of code.

Just type this in your python interpeter:
>>> from __future__ import division
>>> 5/2
2.5

I'm not asking why it _doen't_ work like Matlab.
I'm wondering  what the chances are that what Rocco Moretti is
referring to
(http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/whatsnew/node7.html)
is really  planned to be persued...

I don't think "Because this change might break code, it's being
introduced very gradually. Python 2.2 begins the transition, but the
switch won't be complete until Python 3.0."   says enough.

Should I start using
"from __future__ import division" in my modules ?
I fear that it might make my code "unreadable" (people would not expect
this when reading somewhere in the middle of the module !!!)

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase