Is python very slow compared to C

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Sat Feb 11 17:10:54 EST 2006

diffuser78 at gmail.com wrote:
> I have just started to learn python. Some said that its slow. Can
> somebody pin point the issue.
>
> Thans

"Some" doesn't know what he/she/they are talking about.
Generalizations like that upset me because it shows someone
that has some predisposition to some other language and they
don't want to be confused by "facts".  Many "compiled
language" programmers fall into this category.  Many times
you can write, debug, execute, and document a Python program
before "compiled language" guys can even get started.  Many
believe that Python is also more maintainable over time.
When you come back to it in 6 months you will ACTUALLY BE ABLE
TO READ THE CODE.  Productivity cannot be measured by
benchmarks alone.

Give Python a try and I'll bet you find that it is fast enough
(that's all that is important right) for all but device
drivers and highly scientific applications (and even then
there are solutions). The parts of Python that need to be
fast have been rewritten as binary libraries.  That way you
get the best of both worlds: high level language that has
fast libraries when required.

-Larry Bates