Best python module for Oracle, but portable to other RDBMSes

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Fri Feb 24 19:18:37 EST 2006

On database portability...

While it is noble to try to have a generic interface to these
libraries, the end result is that the databases are always different
enough that the interface just has to work differently. My experience
in going from one database to another is that you should revisit your
entire database interface anyway. (I remember going from Sybase to
Oracle when we had Perl's DBI way back when. It was still very, very
messy.)

So, pick a good module, learn it inside and out, and plan on using a
completely different module if you use a different database, with
perhaps at least a slightly different interface.