Question about idioms for clearing a list

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Tue Feb 7 08:27:17 EST 2006

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> There was a pithy Tim Peters quotation to the effect that he was
> unpersuaded by language proposals predicated on some hypothetical
> average programmer not being smart enough to understand something that
> the rest of us find to be basic.

Peters pithy ;)

As someone coming to Python as a well less than the average programmer,
I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Peters.

My ability to grok Python to any extent, from that starting point, was
based on an understanding that it was my responsibility to come to
Python, not it to me. And concerted, almost obsessive effort, And time.

OTOH - because of exactly these factors - I have actively resented and
resisted promulgation of the Python is Easy meme.

Pity that this stance has separated me from a sense of belonging to the
community, which seems to so highly value that meme.

Art