sys.path and unicode folder names

Nir Aides nir at digitalpeers.com
Thu Feb 9 14:42:10 EST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Nir Aides wrote:
>> If few people use file names not in their respective CP_ACP as you say,
>> why did Microsoft bother to make Windows XP a unicode OS?
>
> Because it simplifies their implementation, in the long run.
>
>> It is because of this situation that people in non-English speaking
>> countries prefer to install English Windows XP. After all why should
>> they get all messed up with incompatible software?
>
> I see. Why do these people then refuse to change the code page of
> their system (which *is* possible, even in English XP)?

They don't refuse. You assume they actually know about its existence. I
think that in  most cases they are not aware of that thing. Sometimes
they call their 10 year old neighbors to fix their computer if they are
tired of seeing garbage on their screen instead of readable characters,
but their computer usually crashes under the heavy load of dozens of
viruses and spy-ware long before that kid neighbor gets a chance to look
at it anyway.

>> Python is Broken.
>
> I agree. Please contribute a patch.

I will do my best.