hard disk activity

ironkan ironkan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:45:29 EST 2006

Maybe an example will help

file A

abef | 1938 | 4bac | 0def | 8675

file B

adef | 0083 | abfd | 3356 | 2465

File A is different from file B and you want to have File A look like
File B.  So do the segmentation (I have chosen ' | ' as the divide
between segments).

After that do checksums on each segment.  For each segment's checksum
that differ there's a discrepancy between the two segments.  So make
the changes to have one segment look like the other segment.

In this example the first segment's checksum would be the same whereas
the checksum for segments 2, 3, 4, and 5 will be different.  So modify
the bits and bytes accordingly.

You may want to pursue this subject further by looking into various
error correction algorithms.