Little tool - but very big size... :-(

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Tue Feb 21 05:03:32 EST 2006

Durumdara wrote:
> But it have very big size: 11 MB... :-(
>
> The dist directory:
> [snip relatively small files]
> 2005.09.28.  12:41         1 867 776 python24.dll
> [snip relatively small files]
> 2006.01.10.  19:09         4 943 872 wxmsw26uh_vc.dll
> [snip relatively small files]
>              20 file        11 485 758 byte
>
> I need to have more compressed result. Can I compress dll-s, pyd-s with
> Py2Exe ?
> Can I decrease the total size with something ?

I've snipped out the relatively small files above. Yes, true, some of
them consume about 0.5MB each.

It seems to me that your choice of GUI framework is a major cost here. I
have never used wxpython. Instead my GUIs are based on tkinter. What I
typically end up with is roughly 7MB. My last example ended up in 7.5MB.
Zipping the whole thing reduces that to 2.6MB. Is it completly out of
the question to have a compressed version of the tool on your memory
stick, and to decompress it on the examined computer before actually
running the tool?

/MiO