line wrapping problem

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 07:06:42 EST 2006

S Borg wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I am parsing text from one document to another. I have a scheme
> similar to:
>
>  for x in myfoobar:
>    print >> mytextfile, "%s    " % mydictionary[x],   #all on same line
>  print >> mytextfile, '\n'      #new line

You are using the print command to output the text to your file. This
will always put a '\n' at the end of lines (as well as your explicit)
one. The only time it doesn't do this is if the line ends with a
trailing comma, in which case it just adds a space.

The usual way is to write to yhour file object using :

mytextfile.write( mytextfile, "%s    " % mydictionary[x],)

All the best,

Fuzzyman