listdir() - any way to limit # of file entries?

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Wed Feb 22 18:12:20 EST 2006

Peter A. Schott wrote:
> I want to build a program that does some archiving.  We have several programs
> that have been dumping files into a folder (one folder) for some time now.  I
> want to limit the number of files returned by listdir to avoid trying to build a
> list with tons of entries.  I then want to move those files into a zip archive
> for the appropriate day/month.
>
> Is there any way to build a list of the first 1000 files or so in a folder?
>
> Running Python 2.4.2 on Win32 with Win32 extensions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Pete Schott

Since I assume that all the files are mixed together, I would probably
do this as a 2 step process:

Step 1 - Use os.walk and iterate over all the files moving them (using
os.shutil) into subdirectories based on their day/month information
(not sure where this information comes from).

Step 2 - Use os.walk to iterate over each of these directories and add
all the files contained in each day/month subdirectory into a .zip archive.

-Larry Bates