Xah's Edu Corner: Unix damage: color names

usenet at DavidFilmer.com usenet at DavidFilmer.com
Tue Feb 7 19:32:16 EST 2006

Xah Lee wrote:
> usually located in <X11root>/lib/rgb.txt.

on AIX and Linux (SuSE 9.3) the file is in <X11root>/lib/X11/rgb.txt

> neither a continuity in selected color values nor in color names (for
> example, darkgray but lightgrey)

On AIX and Linux (SuSE 9.3) each color name which contains "gray" is
also aliased as "grey" for the benefit of both Yanks and Brits.  Thus,
I have:

   211 211 211             LightGrey
   211 211 211             LightGray

   169 169 169             DarkGrey
   169 169 169             DarkGray

I'm curious what UNIX system does not dual-spell this color? (neutral,
actually; gray is not a color). I thought these color (neutral) names
were dual-homed on all reasonably modern UN*X systems.

--
http://DavidFilmer.com