general coding issues - coding style...

calmar mac at calmar.ws
Sat Feb 18 12:17:19 EST 2006

On 2006-02-18, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:

Hi Diez,

>   - why are these {{{ thingies there?

markers for folding for vim
http://www.calmar.ws/tmp/sc.png

>   - use string interpolation like "Foo %s %i" % ("bar", 1) instead of
> concatenating strings.

I see, get's shorter and so, and I can break lines.
(seems to me, after  ( or [ or so, I can use a new line without
to worry)

>   - it seems that you could benefit from a class instead of a bunch of
> functions & few globals. No need to go too crazy about OO, but it has
> its merits

I see. Maybe I could then build some classes for that prog,
especially since I use only one file, it probably would make
some sense for getting a better structure.

>   - try using something like glade - creating GUIs by hand sucks
> big-timer :)

I should (seriously) check out probably.

>   - read up about unicode and encodings, what they mean and why and when
> to use what. Really. Most problems in that field stem from people being
> sort of ignorant on that topic and just wiggling themselves through all
> the time - in the end, messing up stuff. It really _isn't_ that complicated.

I read up. In fact, basically it does not seem to be that complicate.
Unicode just a 'numbered' list of all available character, and
e.g. uft-8 a organized way to 'store' those 'numbers' wisely
into bytes.

I still have some problems with that (and gave up), but since I begin to
now understand it somebit more, I should try/check again.

>   - when creating string-keyed dicts, the idiom
>
>     dict(foo="bar",
>          baz="pillepalle")

I see, I changed too.

Thanks a lot,
marco

--
  calmar

          (o_  It rocks: LINUX + Command-Line-Interface
          //\
          V_/_                     http://www.calmar.ws