remote module importing (urlimport)

Jure Vrscaj jure at codeshift.net
Thu Feb 23 18:39:42 EST 2006

Hi,

as title implies, I wrote a simple module that allows importing modules
or even packages via http, conceptually similar to zipimport (of which I
learned about during the process of writing urlimport, and found it very
useful).

The module is fresh new as it was written today, and tested only on a
few packages (moinmoin wiki and twisted).

The motives: well, I kinda like the idea of having python modules
available in an instant everywhere python and internet is, no pre-usage
download required, especially when you need modules from different
versions of python. Besides, I hope this will be a valid faculty project
that I have to do. :)

This module is heavily based on specification and examples from PEP 302.

It can be found at: http://urlimport.codeshift.net/

Comments are welcome :)

Long live python.

regards,