fairly large webapp: from Java to Python. experiences?

Fabio Zadrozny fabioz at esss.com.br
Mon Feb 6 09:43:15 EST 2006

Kent Johnson wrote:

>Fabio Zadrozny wrote:
>

>>I agree that python code is usually smaller... but what you did is too
>>unfair (the code below would be more suitable for the comparrison).
>>
>>python:
>>print "%10.2f" % 10
>>
>>java:
>>System.out.println(String.format("%10.2f", 10.0));
>>

>Though String.format() is new in Java 1.5 so in older code or for
>backward compatibility the longer code may be found. OTOH Python has
>supported % formatting since at least version 1.4 released in 1996.
>http://www.python.org/doc/1.4/lib/node11.html#SECTION00315100000000000000
>
>In my experience the original point is valid - Python is usually
>(always?) more concise than equivalent Java code, and often dramatically
>so. Python makes common operations easy; Java sometimes seems to go out
>of its way to make them awkward.
>
>Kent

Yeap, I agree with the original point too (as I explained in the rest of
my comment)... just didn't think it was a 'fair' comparisson. ;-)
-- me? When I use java I write 1.5 code and 'retroweave' it to be
compatible with java 1.4 (Pydev is done this way) -- and I use Python at
work -- and I'm very happy with it... I just think that a language is as
a tool, and each may be suited better for a different occasion.

The 'usually smaller' I mentioned is because sometimes java code gets
smaller because of the already-existing codebase... E.g.: for developing
an IDE, Eclipse already has a huge codebase, so, if I wanted to do all
that was already done in it in python just because Eclipse was in java,
I think I would be doing the wrong decision, and besides, I could use
jython for it if I wanted to...

And from what I understood, the original poster had a large codebase in
java already, so, I'm not sure that changing  everything to python would
be the way to go (altough that DOES depend a lot on the original
codebase quality).

Cheers,

Fabio

--
Fabio Zadrozny
Software Developer

ESSS - Engineering Simulation and Scientific Software
www.esss.com.br

PyDev - Python Development Enviroment for Eclipse
http://pydev.sf.net
http://pydev.blogspot.com