A class with built-in doctest feature ?

Runsun Pan python.pan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 18:50:21 EST 2006

I intend to use the doctect heavily. For this I am thinking of
coding a class that comes with a built-in doctest functionality.
I'd like to seek for input before I start.

The idea is to have a class MyObj from where all my other
classes will subclass.

lets say:

   class C(MyObj):
        ''' This C
          (some doctest here) ---- doctest.1
        '''
        def func1(self):
             ''' This is C.func1
                (some doctest here) --- doctest.2
             '''
             blah blah blah
             return blah

Now, after the above class defintion, I can just do:

C( ).doctest( )

and it will go through doctest.1 and doctest.2 and report the
test results

What is the better way to make such a MyObj ?

The applications of this sort of built-ins are not limited to
a doctest. Similar to the built-in __doc__ that offers some sort
of documentation, a mechnism like what I am proposing can
provide "customization on the fly" feature to allow manipulations
of the doctext at run-time. For example,

C( ).toHtml( )

to convert the __doc__ to a webpage by converting it throu
reStructuredText.

--
Runsun Pan, PhD
python.pan at gmail.com