Zope 3?? How do you start it on Windows?

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Tue Feb 21 13:39:51 EST 2006

kbperry wrote:
> Cool thx Matt.  I did finally figure it out, but barely.  Why would you
> want to download and install Zope without creating an instance?  It
> seems kind of dumb to me.

This is a quite normal separation. I think you will find the same
thing among both database systems and various web tool kits. Some
database systems do create an instance on installation, but that's
because those database systems need one main systems database per
install to adminster the other databases. Whether it's Oracle, Zope
or Django, you can have many instances running in one installation.

I installed Trac yesterday. It worked just the same way.

In settings with more than just a few developers, it's quite normal
that system admins install software products such as Zope, while
software developers create Zope instances. Why on earth would you
force the sysadmin to make a Zope instance? He doesn't need one!
The developer probably doesn't have root access, and it isn't his
job to install third party s/w.