Unable to get PIL to load jpeg images

peter.mosley at talk21.com peter.mosley at talk21.com
Mon Feb 6 16:58:33 EST 2006

Hello again

I'm still wrestling with Python / Tkinter / PIL.  I have almost got it
to work - on a Fedora Core 1 system I can now display images in a
Tkinter window.  But I also run a Fedora Core 3 system, and when I
tried the same procedures I get the following errors:-

[kpeter at localhost jpgTest]$ python pil_jpg.py
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1345, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File "pil_jpg.py", line 26, in do_something
    a.thumbnail((200,150))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 1422, in
thumbnail
    self.load()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 180,
in load
    d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 328, in
_getdecoder
    raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
IOError: decoder jpeg not available

I am running Python 2.3.4, PIL 1.1.5 on a Fedora Core 3 system.  I know
the code is ok, as it runs quite happily under FC1 and Windows.  I've
searched around for clues, and found a few references to this error
message, but quite frankly don't understand what they are saying.

Searching around for files that look as if they may be the jpeg
libraries I can find
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0.0, and a symbolic link /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62.
 I think I somehow have to configure PIL to recognise these, but I am
not sure and anyway don't know how to do this.

Can anyone help?

Peter