script to read emails and extract attachments from cron

JohnRHarlow at gmail.com JohnRHarlow at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 13:57:23 EST 2006

Hi:

I am looking for advice on the best way to set up a process to read
incoming emails (from a normal unix mailbox on the same host)
containing a gzipped telemetry attachment. I'd like the script to
extract the attachment into a directory where another process will pick
it up. I plan to run it every minute out of cron, so it would probably
start by moving the mbox file to another name so that incoming emails
and later instances of itself won't be affected.

I'm new to Python (I've mostly tweaked other scripts until now) and
just looking for advice on how to put such a program together. I'm
particularly interested in how to deal with encoded binary attachments.

Thanks
John