Too Many if Statements?

Juho Schultz juho.schultz at helsinki.fi
Fri Feb 10 11:10:12 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 06:50:25 -0800, slogging_away wrote:
>

>>Excellent suggestion, (behold the power of the command line!).  I ran
>>two saved versions of the script that had produced the symptom
>>originally described.  The fist seemed to be caused by too many 'if'
>>statements, the second by adding another array, but both came up with
>>the same system error at the command prompt level shown here:
>>
>>SystemError: com_backpatch: offset too large
>

> Is this a Python error or a shell error?
>
> If it is a Python error, perhaps you would like to post the entire
> traceback?

I would believe CamelCaseErrorMessages are produced by Python.

The message is exactly the same I reported with the 2500 elifs. I fooled
around a bit with this, and it seems that also for/while blocks
containing more than ~4860 lines give this error.

slogging_away claims his script is about 4900 lines, most of that in a
for loop, so my bet is he has trouble with the same bug.