how do you pronounce 'tuple'?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 13 10:54:27 EST 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Erik Max Francis wrote:
>

>>Even in mathematics, a tuple, or formally an n-tuple, makes more sense
>>to me pronounced the latter if you list out the various pronounciations
>>for large n, seems me the _uhs_ outweigh the _oos_.  (There's quadruple
>>on one side, but then quintuple, sextuple, septuple, heptuple, octuple,
>>etc., etc., etc.)
>

> That's kind of the ironic thing. When I first saw the word, I thought
> maybe it was a Python-specific term (even something from a Monty Python
> skit, even!). My default pronunciation actually was 'toople', but then I
> looked it up to be sure and saw that it comes from words like quadruple,
> quintuple, etc. Well, even then, I was pronouncing those words in my
> head as 'quintoople', 'sextoople', etc., so that didn't really clarify
> it for me! But I think 'quintuple' is probably the more popular choice,
> which makes 'tuple' sound more correct, so to speak.
>
> I still have a warm spot for 'toople', though, since that's what I
> called it first, but somehow 'tuple' seems less silly (and less like
> tupping!)  :)

No, no, no. The correct pronunciation is "tyoople" (or, if you're being
lazy, "choople"). Anything else is wrong, but we English are usually
prepared to forgive foreigners their ignorance :-)

[If I pronounced as badly as I type nobody would ever know what I was
saying].

not-that-we're-arrogant-or-anything-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119