module with __call__ defined is not callable?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Feb 8 09:32:12 EST 2006

Op 2006-02-08, Steve Holden schreef <steve at holdenweb.com>:

> Why should a module be callable? What's the advantage? Should we be able
> to add two modules together, yielding a module that contains all the
> code of both modules? What happens if I multiply a module by two -
> presumably the result should be the same as adding a module to itself?
> Perhaps we should be able to divide a module by a function?
>
> The pursuit of orthogonality, while admirable, can lead to insanity if
> pushed too far.

This is not an argument. This doesn't give a clue about where to stop
this pursuit en when to go on.

Whether it is usefull to call modules add them or multiply them by two
is up to the person producing the code. That is no different than when
he decides it is usefull to call certain objects, add them or multiply
them by two.

I can understand there are implemenation details that make it not
worth while to implement this. But otherwise I would think it
a bad reason to give up orthogonality just because one can't imagine
what it could be usefull for.

--
Antoon Pardon