email questions

Heiko Wundram modelnine at bit-bukket.org
Wed Feb 8 14:00:56 EST 2006

Scott Frankel wrote:

> Seems I'm still having issues with syntax.
>
>  From what I can tell from my mail client, my outgoing mail server
> name is either
>
> mail.<ispname>.net
> or
> mail.<ispname>.net:<myUsername>@<myDomain>.com
>
> The former yields the same socket error on connect() that I reported
> earlier.  The latter yields a "nonnumeric port" error upon
> instantiation.  Instantiating with the port number,

The latter isn't a hostname, it's a hostname (mail.<ispname>.net) padded
with user information for SMTP-Auth, which shouldn't be written in this
format anyway.

Probably your Provider only supports SMTPs or the like (which doesn't use
the default port 25, check for that. Otherwise: if connections are still
refused, does your provider really want you to use this mailserver? Or are
they providing some other relay? I know most ISPs I know and work with use
smtp.<ispname> for their outgoing client-relay.

--- Heiko.