how do you pronounce 'tuple'?

Dave Hansen iddw at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:58:04 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:30:43 +0100 in comp.lang.python, Peter Maas
<peter.maas at somewhere.com> wrote:

>John Salerno schrieb:
>> Terry Hancock wrote:
>>
>>> So what's a 1-element tuple, anyway? A "mople"?  "monople"?
>>> It does seem like this lopsided pythonic creature (1,) ought
>>> to have a name to reflect its ugly, newbie-unfriendly
>>> nature.
>>>
>>> Are we having fun yet? ;-)
>>
>> I kind of like 'moople'.  :)
>
>tuples are of latin origin, so one can derive the tuple words
>systematically:
>
>Latin             n-tuple
>---------------------------
>...               ...
>triplex           triple
>duplex            duple
>simplex           simple

When I was in 4th grade, I was taught to count to ten in latin: unos,
duos, trace, quatro, quinque, sex, septem, octem, novem, decem
(assuming the intervening 35 years haven't dimmed my memory too
much...).  This would suggest "untuple" (or one of several
contractions such as "unuple" or "uple").

Though I suspect "single" is correct.  Consider coronary bypass
operations -- single, double, triple, quadruple...

Regards,
                                        -=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.