PEP 354: Enumerations in Python

I V wrongbad at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 18:10:43 EST 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Hmm, I also see the PEP doesn't specify what's supposed to happen with
>
>   Weekdays = enum('sun', 'mon', 'tue', 'wed', 'thu', 'fri', 'sat')
>   Solar_system = enum('sun', 'mercury', 'venus', 'earth',)  # etc.
>   print Weekdays.sun == Solar_system.sun
>
> so that's another shortcoming with the PEP.

I think it does, doesn't it? From the PEP:

"Values within an enumeration cannot be meaningfully compared *except
with values from the same enumeration*.  The comparison operation
functions return ``NotImplemented`` [#CMP-NOTIMPLEMENTED]_ when a
value from an enumeration is compared against any value not from the
same enumeration or of a different type." (my emphasis)