why don't many test frameworks support file-output?

kanchy kang zzhikang at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 23 20:36:34 EST 2006

I don't think redirecting stdout to a file is a good resolution.
How to organize the output file is very important.
in my imagination, there should be one directory "log", where log files are
saved.
and, log files should be separated according to some method(for example, one
test file one log file).

also, from my point of view, there is one confusion between "log files" and
normal stdout stream.

stdout stream is used to display some imediate information, for example,
"print" statement, or exception also can be outputed to the screen...

but, stdout stream can't satisfy many requirements...
for example, in one "big" project, there are many test cases, in which we
need record many useful data, whether correct or not. how to do this? print
statement is not a good idea.

there should be another "stream" to do this. it can record infomation, same
to stdout or not.
so, a good log frame will satisfy:
1) "log" is not the stdout stream.
2) log files are oganized systematically, not only one big log file.
3) log information should be written to file imediately, not be delayed
until one case is finished. why?
test script writter may not know the test framework. if he/she write one
test case with many output data(maybe it is necesary), this will consume the
system memory greatly, ...
4) also, log directory should be one limited cyclic...for example, from 1 to
10.
this will avoid imediate overwriting...sometimes the previous log
information would be useful.

...hehe...

best regards.