[OT] Re: number ranges

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Feb 22 08:04:13 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano  <steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au> wrote:
>> Colin J. Williams <cjw at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>>1. Why not treat '2 to 5' or '(2 to 5)' as a semi-open interval?
>I intellectually understand that semi-open intervals
>are the only way to go. But reading the words, the part
>of my brain that speaks English cries out for a closed
>interval. Bad brain.

My native British-English speaking brain has never been able to
decide whether "to" indicates a closed or semi-open interval.
Whenever I can get away with it, I've adopted the Americanism
"through" (but always retaining that spelling) when describing
a closed interval.

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"