Netstat in python. Does it's possible?

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 11 15:06:59 EST 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:28:06 +0100, Martin v. Löwis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> billie wrote:
>> Hi all. I don't know if Python is good for this kind of jobs but I'm
>> wondering if it's possible emulate the "netstat" command in Python.
>
> As a general recommendation, use strace(1) to answer this kind of
> question. Run "strace -o tmp netstat", then inspect tmp to find out
> how netstat obtained the information it reported.

Good idea.

There might still be a problem for people doing things like this: netstat
might use unstable or non-public APIs to find the things it lists. This is
fine because it's typically your OS vendor who have to handle that (ship
another netstat when the /proc or /sys file system layout changes, etc).

If it works like that, you can access the APIs fine from Python -- but you
cannot write a portable 'pynetstat' without a lot of effort and maintenance.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!