Dual Core outlook

Greg Copeland gtcopeland at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 13:14:25 EST 2006

The short answer is, "maybe".  Python will be CPU bound but not I/O
bound.  This means you can have multiple threads concurrently
performing I/O.  On the other hand, if you have two threads which are
CPU bound, only one will run at a time.

Having said that, there are plenty of ready work arounds.  One is to
make an extension module which executes your CPU bound tasks while
releasing the GIL.  The other is to break your script into a
multiprocess model rather than a multithreaded module; using IPC as
needed.