Evil, evil wxPython (and a glimmer of hope)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Feb 16 22:32:44 EST 2006

"vivainio at gmail.com" <vivainio at gmail.com> writes:
> I rarely do GUIs, and reminded myself today why that is the case
> (simply, it's not fun).

Programming C++ in Python isn't much fun, true.

> However, it should be pretty easy to write small wrapper over the
> wxPython api.
> [...]
> wxPython is great as it is (a simple wrapper for a C++ toolkit) and the
> basic design is ok & proven, I'm just too lazy to use it in its current
> form.

Fortunately, you're not alone in that thought. The wxPython project's
explicit goal is to make wxPython feel as much like wxWidgets as
feasible.

For those that want wxPython to feel more like Python than C++, Hans
Nowak started the 'wax' wrapper:

    "Simply put, Wax is a GUI toolkit. It sits on top of wxPython,
    removing some of the low-level aspects of that GUI, and adding
    some useful abstractions.

    The goal is that Wax should be easier to use than wxPython, but
    just as feature-rich. Maybe even more so.

    The actual situation is different. Frankly, I don't have the time
    to work on this project very much. That's why I only add new
    features when I need them. Some of my other projects (Firedrop,
    Sourcery, etc) use Wax, so over time, when I need more controls, I
    add them. On the other hand, a subset of controls is there, and is
    usable."

    <URL:http://zephyrfalcon.org/labs/dope_on_wax.html>
    <URL:http://zephyrfalcon.org/labs/wax.html>

The web content is a bit sparse; fortunately the code has seen more
love than the web pages. Wax was the focus of a couple of Google
"Summer of Code" projects, and new life seems to have been gained as a
result.

--
 \     "We are not gonna be great; we are not gonna be amazing; we are |
  `\        gonna be *amazingly* amazing!"  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox, _The |