Is python very slow compared to C

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Mon Feb 13 00:21:13 EST 2006

bonono at gmail.com wrote:

> I can speak the same about Python if I view it from a prototype based
> perspective, where one get them for free in Lua but need to implement
> them in Python.

Sure. And if you need prototypes, then all else being
equal that would be a disadvantage of Python compared
to Lua.

On the other hand, I'd suggest that far more
programmers are familiar with classes than prototypes,
regardless of any objective advantages or disadvantages
of one over the other. Perhaps that's one of the
reasons why Lua is lacking the market penetration of
Python: programmers may look at it and say "No classes?
Prototyping? WTF is that? I don't have time to learn
something so different, better stick to languages which
have a smaller learning curve."

--
Steven.