module with __call__ defined is not callable?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 8 07:30:57 EST 2006

Fuzzyman wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
[...]
>>The pursuit of orthogonality, while admirable, can lead to insanity if
>>pushed too far.
>>

> Sure - feel free to venture as far down the road of insanity as you
> like :-) To pursue your analogy, why don't we answer all usenet posts
> by pushing suggestions to ridiculous levels ? ;-)

Right, and publish cartoons of Larry Wall where his hat is a bomb. Then
the perlmongers will burn the Googleplex down?

> What would actually be the problem with allowing modules to define a
> __call__ though ? This would allow for nice clean namespaces at the
> module level.

What's clean about defining __call__() and calling the module name
rather than defining functions and calling them? Why should one specific
function in a module be promoted to this special status? How many
modules have precisely one function?

> Ok, so there are other ways of doing it - but it's not at all
> illogical.

I was merely trying to suggest that just because something *can* be done
doesn't mean it *should* be done. Perhaps I went a little over the top.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119