Firebird and Python

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Tue Feb 28 10:47:37 EST 2006

Claudio Grondi wrote:
> Do I understand it right, that I can use Firebird database in the same
> way as I can use the Berkeley one provided in Python standard distribution?

That depends on what you mean by "the same way"...

As with Berkeley, you can use it in-process, and don't need a
separate server process. On the other hand, it's a full SQL
database, not a "persistent mapping" as Berkeley DB etc. It's
better to compare it with SQLite, but it's not as lite. That
is, it support more of the SQL standards. Firebird can also be
used as a database server, not just as an embedded database.