2.4.2 + Zone Alarm

DaveM asma61 at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Feb 23 16:58:04 EST 2006

On 20 Feb 2006 16:26:15 -0800, "DannyB" <dbough77 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I believe this issue is known - I haven't found a way around it.
>
>ZoneAlarm seems to be stopping IDLE from running.
>I get two errors:
>
>"Socket Error:  Connection refused"
>and
>"IDLE's subprocess didn'tt make connection.  Either IDLE can't start a
>subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection."
>
>I know they are both due to ZA - I've set up ZA to allow Python to
>access the internet w/o prompting me (even though I now it doesn't
>actually access the internet.)
>
>This usually happens after I create a script and run it in the GUI - if
>the script ends up being a never ending loop - I X out of IDLE to stop
>it.  The next time I try to run a script I get the errors until I
>reboot the computer.
>
>IIs there a fix?  I'm pretty sure that this problem started with 2.3.1
>(i'm suing 2.4.2).

I get an the same problem in those circumstances, although I can't remember
if I get that error message (and I use ZoneAlarm).

Windows task manager shows pythonw.exe still running and terminating the
process allows IDLE to start normally. Easier than rebooting. PythonWin
doesn't suffer this problem, btw.

DaveM