Thread Question

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Feb 28 15:24:18 EST 2006

On 2006-02-28, D <duncanm255 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a client application that I want (behind the scenes) to check
> and make sure a remote host is up (i.e. by ping or TCP connect).  I'm
> assuming that, since I want this to go on "unknowingly" to the user,
> that I would put this in a thread.

Probably.

> My question is, how would I go about creating the thread?

Assuming foo is the function you want to start in a thread:

   threading.Thread(target=foo).start()

> I have seen examples that used classes, and other examples
> that just called one thread start command - when should you
> use one over another?

I'm not sure what you mean by "use classes" vs. "calling a
thread start command".  My example above uses a class
(threading.Thread) to create a thread object, and then calls
its start method.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  HELLO, little boys!
                                  at               Gimme a MINT TULIP!! Let's