time.sleep(1) sometimes runs for 200 seconds under windows

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Thu Feb 23 19:37:16 EST 2006

Paul Probert wrote:

[snip my slightly-snotty quoting of the sleep.time docs]

>    Thanks, but yes, I had read that before posting. One would think,
> though, that the extra 200 seconds is a bit extreme to be blamable on
> system scheduling granularity.

I didn't intend to invoke scheduling granularity, I was implying that
under high system load it may take much longer for the sleep to "come back".

>    I'm starting to think we've got a worm of some kind. If so, its
> invisible to our Norton AV corporate.

If you don't see any appreciable load on the machines (I read that
you're seeing the same thing on several diverse machines elsewhere in
this thread), then yes, I'd agree that /something/ strange is going on.

Unfortunately this sounds like one of those things that will require
"laying on of hands" to diagnose.  Good luck!  Let us know how it turns
out, I'm curious. :)
--
Benji York