Looking a device up in the Running Object Table

Lunchtimemama lunchtimemama at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 00:49:07 EST 2006

I'm looking to disable Windows autoplay for a particular device.
There's a registry key
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\CancelAutoplay\CLSID)
that will turn off autoplay for listed devices, but one must provide
the device's CLSID as it appears in the ROT.

I use the wmi module (http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi.html) to
discover the device's GUID, but I don't know enough about COM to look
it up in the ROT. Is there a difference between the GUID and the CLSID
in the ROT, or am I just not using the registry correctly?

Thanks.